Remember this chair that I scored off Craigslist this spring? She’s a beaut, but seriously in need of a new ensemble.
You might remember that for the short term I took off the back cushion and covered the seat cushion with a wool blanket. But with sub-freezing temps all of a sudden I kind of want my blanket back, so I thought I would try to make some new clothes for this guy.
The blanket I was using is a white and grey plaid, and I liked the look of the pattern in my living room. I thought I would try to replicate it with a simple accordion fold shibori technique (you can read my shibori tutorial here).
I had some yardage of really nice heavyweight hemp fabric left over from a previous project, so I folded it up and dyed it with the indigo I had left over from my first attempt at shibori.
I don’t know if it’s because I was using a larger piece of fabric, or something about the fabric itself, but it didn’t turn out the way I’d hoped.
The dye bled unevenly, some creases didn’t get any dye and others got too much. It was just a mess. Luckily I wasn’t totally wedded to the idea of shibori on this chair, so I wasn’t too disappointed. I decided to see what would happen if I did a little batik on top of the shibori mess.
I had read that Elmer’s blue gel glue works as an alternative to wax for batiking, so I grabbed some out of Opal’s craft supplies. I was still stuck on the idea of plaid, so using the glue I drew lines diagonal to the shibori pattern, and then another set of lines parallel to the shibori pattern. I used the side of a cardboard box as a rough guide to help me draw relatively straight lines.
I let the glue dry overnight, and then gave it a quick dunk in the indigo bath. Wearing gloves, I swirled it around in the dye for about two minutes or so, and then laid it flat on top of a drop cloth to oxidize and dry.
When the fabric first came out of the dye bath the glue lines where dark, almost black, and I wasn’t sure whether that was just the glue, or whether the fabric was actually going to be darker. I liked the look of the dark lines, but when I rinsed the fabric (after letting it oxidize for about 10 minutes) the glue rolled right off and the fabric underneath was still pristine white.
After rinsing I let the fabric dry thoroughly. It was sort of sticky all over from the glue, so I just tossed it in the washing machine and washed it in warm water. It came out looking really great, not at all sticky, and the indigo didn’t bleed into the batik lines at all.
Actually, the non-batiked side of the fabric is pretty fetching too:
I laid the fabric on the chair to get a sense of what it would be like. I really like the pattern, but I’m not sure it’s quite right for this chair.
Cromwell did his best to convince me that the fabric was perfect for the chair, but even his entreating gibbous eyes and sweet, loose-fleshed belly couldn’t convince me.
Maybe it’s that my shibori-batik lacks any hint of the preppy gray and white plaid, or maybe it’s just that there’s too much going on. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but despite the fact that this emperor chair still has no clothes I’m glad to have experimented with this batiking technique, and I’m sure I’ll make good use of this fabric in another project. Cromwell suggests a down-stuffed, heated cat bed.
Thanks for reading along, stay tuned for Wednesday when Katie posts about creating a gallery wall!